Monday, July 18, 2011

MC Sample Script

A few months back I had the honour of being the Master of Ceremonies (or as I preferred to call myself the Mistress of Ceremonies) for a friend's wedding. Having never performed the role I turned to the internet for help. I found a few articles that gave me a vague idea of what I needed to do but I found most of the scripts were either too formal for the wedding I was MCing or lacked the detail I craved. Still, I made it through. I even got some pretty good reviews from the guests. So, if there is anyone else out there looking for some MC guidance, I thought I'd share my script with you.

I also should mention, this wedding was very casual so, this script does not follow exact wedding protocol--for example, the speeches are not in the traditional order.

Alright, so without further adieu...Sample script:

Lavoie Wedding
M.C. Script

Cocktail notes: Move Chris and Kate Monroe from table 2 to table 10. Andrew Lavoie is now at table 2.


1. Welcome --16 00h

• Welcome/Bievenue to John and Sarah’s wedding reception
• Introduce self, explain how I know couple and being asked to be MC by bride
• On behalf of John and Sarah, let me start by thanking you all for coming
• I would also like to extend an extra special welcome to the bride’s Nanny, Mary Smith
• I hope everyone enjoyed the beautiful ceremony
• Please relax and enjoy some refreshments available at the back of the hall while we eagerly await the return of the bride and groom
• For anyone in need, the washrooms are located _______________

2. Announce host bar--17 00h

• Ladies and gentleman, the bar is now open
• Everyone is invited to enjoy a round on Mr. and Mrs. Smith prior to the wedding party's return

3. Arrival of Wedding party --approx. 17 30h


1. Please rise and join me in welcoming our hosts, Mr. and Mrs. Bob and Lisa Smith
2. The Maid of Honour and Sister of the Bride—Anne Smith
3. The Best Man, otherwise known as the tall guy, Adam Murray
4. Bridesmaid and Sarah’s former roommate, Lisa Williams
5. Groomsman, Tim Padvaiskas (pad-vice-kiss), John’s friend from armour school
6. Bridesmaid and cousin of the bride, Amy King
7. Flanked on the right by John’s youngest brother, Paul Lavoie
8. And on the left by John’s brother, Matthew Lavoie
9. Now the moment we have all be waiting for, it is my honour to introduce Mr. and Mrs. Lavoie! Just try to keep up with these two


4. Kissing

• Fortunately for all of you, it seems John did not approve of having guests perform tricks like circus monkeys in order to get him and his new bride to kiss
• Instead, if at any point during the evening you would like to see the Bride and Groom kiss, simply tink your glass

5. Dinner 18 00h


• Dinner will be served buffet style
• I will draw table numbers to determine what order each table will go to the buffet in
• The last is certainly not least here though, the last table drawn will receive a bottle of campaign


• To get to the buffet please go through the door at the back of the room to the left and return through the door on the right
• We will begin with the head table

6. Speeches 18 45h


• I certainly hope everyone enjoyed their dinner
• The wedding party would now like to share a few words with us
1. Please welcome, mother and father of the bride Mr. and Mrs. Bob and Lisa Smith
2. Best man Adam Murray—A friend of John’s from back in the good old army days
3. Maid of Honour Anne Smith—Sarah’s sister. Before bringing Anne up though, Sarah wanted me to share a little story with you...
4. Read letter from groom’s friend in Afghanistan
5. Before bringing our bride and groom up, I’d like to share with you the story of when Sarah knew she was in love with John. Sarah was the hospital and had been complaining about the food. John snuck in Kraft Dinner and Hot Dogs, then petted her head until she fell asleep
6. Now, without further adieu, Sarah and John Lavoie


7. The First Dance 19 15h

• The first dance represents how the couple will dance through their marriage
• Dancing to “Amazed” by Lonestar, John and Sarah’s first dance as a married couple
• As they head out on the floor can I please get a big round of applause or our DJ tonight Jason Westwood aka DJ Jay

8. Father/Daughter Dance 19 20h

• Dancing to Louis Armstrong's “What a wonderful world”, Father of the bride, Bob Smith and Sarah Lavoie

9. Mother/Son Dance 19 25h

• Dancing to “Beautiful Boy” by John Lennon, Mother of the Groom Nancy Lavoie and son John

10. Invite all guests to dance 19 30h

11. Bouquet Toss 21 00h

• Could I please have all the single ladies on the dance floor, it’s time for the bouquet toss
• Congratulations _________________________________

12. Cake cutting 22 00h

• I would like to direct everyone’s attention to the cake table, as it is now time to cut the cake.



13. Departure of Bride and Groom 00 00h
• Ladies and Gentleman, John and Sarah are preparing to leave. Please get on your feet and help me give them a proper send off!
• Congratulations John and Sarah!

14. End of Reception 01 00h (at lastest)

• Thank any remaining guest for coming
• I hope everyone had a fantastic time
• Remind guests to drive safely
• A house phone is available in the lobby for anyone needing to call a cab


No comments:

Post a Comment